The good practice guide to Sustainable Construction in Cambridgeshire, produced by Land Use Consultants, is intended to be used as an aid to those involved in the planning, design and construction of new communities in Cambridgeshire. The guide illustrates the manner in which new development should be approached and seeks to raise the standard of construction across the county.
What does the guide cover?
There are five key themes covered in the guide:
- Climate Change: Addressing the impacts of climate change through innovative construction methods and adapting the design of developments.
- Energy: Minimising the amount of energy used in new developments through the use of renewable energy, energy conservation measures and the well considered siting of developments.
- Waste: Minimising the amount of waste generated by new developments, both in terms of construction and demolition, and through incorporating facilities for waste sorting and recycling onsite.
- Water: Encouraging the sustainable use and management of water resources through incorporation of water efficiency measures, the use of sustainable urban drainage systems and appropriate development siting to reduce flood risk.
- Construction Materials: Maximising the use of local natural and sustainable materials and improving the understanding of sustainable construction techniques throughout the county.
Who is the guide for?
The guide is intended to be used as an aid during all stages of the delivery of growth in Cambridgeshire: planning, design, and construction. It is intended to raise the standard of construction across the county through illustrating and demonstrating the manner in which sustainable construction should be approached.
What is happening now?
The Sustainable Construction guide was launched in 2007, it has since been approved by Cambridgeshire County Council's cabinet and is now being led by the County Council to ensure its principles become embedded in local planning policy.
View the Good practice guide to sustainable construction in Cambridgeshire here.